   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Associating a Stylesheet with a Document

On 6/4/06, Joe Schaffner <schaffner.joe@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem, of course, is that I will have to modify my xml, all 937+
> files, one for each verb, when I add a new style sheet (while possibly
> retaining the old ones - variations, in other words) and I was
> thinking of creating stylesheets on-the-fly, in response to a query,
> which were all based on the same, underlying database of
> fully-conjugated verbs.

<snip/>

> Is there a canonical solution to this problem?
>
> Aha! Maybe that would be another xml application, of some sort,
> perhaps even HTML (yuck) a variation on the index.html theme - a
> separate document which maps the stylesheets with the documents, one
> which I could modify offline...

Can this be browser specific?  As David points out you can use client
side JavaScript to load both the XML and the XSLT.  The JavaScript can
in turn be parametrized.  You can pick up Ajax libraries such as Dojo
that will hide most of the cross browser issues for you, but given
that XML + XSLT does not work on all browsers your limited from the
word go...

You could also use a separate server side XSLT to modify the XML to
include the appropriate XSLT, but unless the XSLT has some specific
reasonfor running on the client I can't see why you wouldn't run
everything server side at that point.

--
Peter Hunsberger