   xalan multiple output docs based on imported xml

 Hello everyone,

      This may take a bit of explanation to describe what I am trying to
solve.
      For the sake of brevity, here is how  best  I can ask the question
      without dumping a bunch of xml and xslt rules.

      Here's my command line

      java xalanjava  cciproduct.xml  cci.xsl  cciplan.txt

      If you import some xml like this in cci.xsl

      <xsl:apply-templates select="document('editionszones.xml')"/>

      and start matching nodes inside this external xml to determine
multiple file names

      <xalan:open file="{$productdate}{$productname}{$zone}{$edition}.txt"/>

      <xalan:write file="{$productdate}{$productname}{$zone}{$edition}.txt"
method="text">

     	 <xsl:apply-templates/>

      </xalan:write>

      the variables were values derived from the external xml.

      The problem is the <xsl:apply-templates/> rule inside the
<xalan:write>.

      How can I now start matching the xml that is contained in the xml I
pointed to in my command
      line, cciproduct.xml ? Once I start matching nodes from the imported
xml, I cannot create any
      rules to find my way back to the xml in cciproduct.xml. The root
element of my document is that of the
      imported xml editionszones.xml.

      Hope my explanation is clear enough, I would be happy to provide any
additional code if it will help.

     thanks
     jeff culler