   Re: [xml-dev] 10th anniversary of the annoucement of XML ..need help

On Jun 5, 2006, at 4:38 PM, Bullard, Claude L ((Len)) wrote:

> 1.  90% of the work was done before the work started because of the
> long
> history of SGML.
>
> 2.  There was no lack of expertise with years of experience.

I think these were two key points. The requirement for SGML
compatibility, plus the expertise from the field that guided SGML
feature selection, resulted in broad consensus. There were already a
number of XML-like subsets out in the wild, and in particular, in 2
commercial browser-like applications (SoftQuad and EBT).

BTW. I should note that the ERB/WG split happened after the group got
big enough to justify the split. There was a lot of formative work
done before the ERB split off.