   Re: [xml-dev] 10th anniversary of the annoucement of XML ..need

Robin Berjon said:

> And microformats, Ye Aulde HTML, etc.. XML picked a subset of SGML
> that fit a specific goal. I wonder (completely idly) if there
> wouldn't be value in extracting the minimisation features from SGML
> to create some form of "XML (Infoset) Extraction" spec, similar to
> what is being done with GRRRDDL?

There would be value, but little buy-in I think.

I wrote an XML.COM article on defining Wikis convertable to XML using
SGML, for anyone interested. It is also in the O'Reilly XML Hacks book
IIRC.

I also have a non-SGML technology for describing Wikis to allow conversion
into XML. I have an Open Source Java version, and Micah Dubinko made a
version in python or .net (oops I forget) to validate the spec and
concept. The conversion is described using XML, but not through an
intermediate grammar. It uses a kind of table that is, I believe,
substantially easier in most cases than using SGML DTDs. Micah and I have
never released this XMLWiki "psyche" system, partly because I don't know
an appropriate forum for connecting to people who would be interested in
it.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe