   Re: [xml-dev] JSON (was Re: [xml-dev] 10th anniversary of the annoucemen

  • To: XML Developers List <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] JSON (was Re: [xml-dev] 10th anniversary of the annoucement of XML ..need help)
  • From: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:58:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- PA <petite.abeille@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 08, 2006, at 07:36, Michael Champion wrote:
>
> > I hate to sound like a crusty old conservative,
> but it would be nice
> > if people didn't jump on the JSON  (etc.)
> bandwagon just because it's
> > trendy and fun and helps differentiate one's
> message ... and XML is
> > soooo 1990's.
>
> Talking of the nineties, JSON has a striking
> resemblance to NeXT's
> ASCII Property Lists (aka plist):

That is not very surprising, since Javascript's syntax
(subset of which JSON is based on) is obviously based
on (t|c)rusty old C syntax (and before that, many
other languages I am too young to have used). In many
ways, the notation is bit like Latin of the object
notations, and has some benefits due to "principle of
least surprise", regarding developer debuggability.

Another way to think about this is that even if one
doesn't like JSON per se, it is good to have things
that aim for simplicity; maybe it can have positive
effects by creating pressure against unnecessarily
complicated systems. Bit like "Ruby on Rails" and
other pragmatic developments have positive effects on
developing bit less byzantine, yet flexible,
alternatives.

-+ Tatu +-