   RE: [xml-dev] Media type (MIME) of XML in MS Word? in Notepad? when comp

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Media type (MIME) of XML in MS Word? in Notepad? when compressed? etc
  • From: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 06:55:02 -0400

Hi Folks,

Henri Sivonen said that if I take this simple XML:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<root>

      Blah

</root>

and put it into Word, then the media type (MIME) is:

      application/msword

Conversely, if I put the same XML into Notepad, then the media type (MIME) is:

      application/xml

Why is that?  Why is it that if I put XML into one editor (Word) I get a media type that is specific to the editor, whereas if I put XML into another editor (Notepad) then I get a media type that is independent of the editor?

Suppose that I put the XML into Wordpad, what is the media type?

What are the general rules for determining the media type of XML?

/Roger