   Re: [xml-dev] [Summary, VERSION #3] Media type (MIME) of XML in MSWord?

NTFS (Windows 2k/XP filesystem) actually supports hidden alternative
data streams, which are similar to Mac resource forks.
Some of the popular Linux filesystems support extended attributes, but
the access methods vary and they aren't widely utilized.

The file name is something that is visible, easy to access and trivial
to change. So I would expect the file name to be used in config files to
map the mime media types even in the presence of a working extended
attributes capability.