   Re: [xml-dev] Specifying formal semantics in XML languages

At 13:44 21/06/2006, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>peter murray-rust wrote:
>>I am therefore looking for a way of specifying semantics of this
>>type in <appinfo> elements on some or all elements. It is important
>>that the semantics are not procedural (we cannot assume that the
>>users have Python, etc.). There is currently no requirement for
>>speed, so XSLT is a possible solution although it is very difficult
>>to evaluate scientific functions in it.
>
>Why not XQuery, combined with MUST / MAY / MUSTNOT conditions?
>XQuery is a declarative language that can express the conditions
>given below. And I'd expect it would be fairly easy to define the
>user-declared functions you need.
>
>Jonathan

Many thanks,
         My initial reluctance to use XQuery or XPath is because it
is not necessarily easy to generate code from them. It would seem to
mean writing an XQuery parser (although the discussion on a separate
thread suggest that XPath in XML syntax could be a useful approach).
The actual validation could be done by calling XPath when a component
was read in. I am also unclear how you can use XQuery to define
user-declared functions

P.

It does seem as if either/or Schematron and XQuery look like possible
ways forward

Peter Murray-Rust
Unilever Centre for Molecular Sciences Informatics
University of Cambridge,
Lensfield Road,  Cambridge CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069