   RE: [xml-dev] Restrictions on existence of attributes?

Le jeudi 06 juillet 2006 à 09:07 +0100, Michael Kay a écrit :
> > a toolmaker could easily make a system that checks whether one
> > RELAX NG schema is a restricted or xsd-style extension of
> > another.
>
> I disagree. Just because month has the value-set 1..12 and percentage has
> the value-set 1..100 does not mean that month is a subtype of percentage.
> Subtyping is a semantic relationship, not merely a syntactic one.

Yes, but...

I agree that subtyping is a semantic relationship and that's why I think
that it would be appropriate to use annotations to express this notion
in RELAX NG.

There are cases where things are already clear enough in a RELAX NG
schema to detect these relations (typically in my examples corresponding
to extension and substitution groups).

And it would also be useful to be able to check if a schema is a
restriction or an extension of another one. This is a different concept
which is purely about validation but tools to check this would be very
useful in a number of situations.

Eric

--
GPG-PGP: 2A528005
Have you ever thought about unit testing XSLT templates?

Ceci est une partie de message=?ISO-8859-1?Q?num=E9riquement?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?_sign=E9e?=