   Re: [xml-dev] The Best Technologies Don't Win

Len, care to use a mail client that knows how to quote the mail you're
replying to? It's been a bit tough reading your ramblings because of
the broken quotations as much as because of your arbitrary assertions.

On 07/08/06 01:12, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> The ones that come to your door when your house is on fire or you have
> been robbed do.  They may not be important until you need them but you
> want them to work reliably when you do.  Local intelligence.  So if you

What?

> think XSD is a bad choice, you may want to spend some time at your next
> city council meeting and before your local/federal governments or
> whatever form is used in your world-burg because the uptake of XSD there
> is enormous.   See NIEM.

I've worked with at least one government agency. The decision makers
there hardly care about the grass-root realities of development. They
choose vendor X because it covers the maximum support services in the
least cost. They choose technology Y because it is buzzword compliant,
has the stamp of approval from some organisation/vendor that matters
and they assume that the stamp of approval is sufficient to keep them
out of trouble. Of course, they're right as far as keeping out of
trouble is concerned. Nobody ever got fired for choosing IBM, right?

> BTW:  there are still plenty of applications being written that aren't
> web applications.  They are off the web so one could say, who cares.

As a developer of such off the web... um... thingies that you don't
care about, I'm strongly tempted to respond with "ROTFL" but I'll
refrain. What exactly is your notion of an application? One that's
been designed using UML? One whose code was generated by Visual Studio
.Net because that's somehow superior to code that's hand written by a
witless code-monkey? Get a dictionary. Get real.

> proxies.  The banking institutions have been rather stupid in this
> regard and the result has been the most massive identity thefts of all
> time.  Then there are the social ills amplified by witless web
> applications such as mySpace leading to misguided but virtuous attempts
> to regulate them.

Okay, now I must say, ROTFL!

--
Tahir