   Re: [xml-dev] XPointer example

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 09:15, tom tom wrote:
> OK thanks. I have a tool that implements enough XPath functionality for my
> needs (LibXML) however I think it would be foolish to adopt this particular
> XPointer functionality while this document is still a working draft. Even
> though our Xpaths are relatively simple. Is that fair?

The xpointer() spec has been a draft for long and as far as I know no one is
attempting to advance it to a recommendation. Some thinks the xpointer()
scheme is too complex with its character range support.

The xpointer() scheme isn't widely used according to my experience(partly
because it's heavy to implement, perhaps). xpointer() is perhaps getting
established as a de facto standard. I don't think your interoperability
problem would be the spec's status but to find implementations supporting it.
Whether xpointer() is ok for you depends on your acceptance towards locking
on implementations that support that scheme.

Another possibility is to use the xpath1() scheme which allows selection via
plain XPath 1.0 expressions. libxml2 doesn't support it, but you could
request it as a wishlist -- I don't think it would be much work to implement.

Cheers,

		Frans