   Re: [xml-dev] RE: The Best Technologies Don't Win

Henri Sivonen said:
> Heated? Wow. Your heat detector is miscalibrated.

Maybe your scale for temperatures is different or maybe...

> As you quoted Hixie yourself, the recommendation wasn't particularly
> intentional. You are reading way too much into the use of MathML   being
> recommended in the first place and you are also reading way too   much
> into the subsequent removal of that piece of text.

No personal interpretations needed here.

Editor:
>> WHATWG doesn't have a position on this -- different contributors have
>> different opinions, and no clear consensus is being reached as far as
>> I can tell.

Juan R.

> It has been taken one! The draft of the specification recommends the
> usage of MathML for mathematics.

Editor again:

> Hm, good point. This wasn't particularly intentional. Fixed.

The original spec was recommending usage of MathML and now is not. That is
great and a big point in favoour of (X)HTML5.

>> Also Robert O'Callahan (Mozilla Layout team) wrote:
>
> Basically you are blowing any nod towards non-MathML out of proportion.

Well, he just recognized that a CSS approach to render fractions (the
basic approach can be reused for other stuff as subsup pairs, tensors and
so) could be easily implemented in HTML5. How many browsers are natively
supporting MathML after of many years? And how many supporting content
MathML?

Many of us wait that many browsers will support native mathematical
rendering without MathML.

>> [http://canonicalscience.blogspot.com/2006/07/rendering-mathematics-
>> in-html-via-css.html]
>
> I wonder why I am not seeing stretchy parentheses there...

Anxious? You will see it in a next future. Let me a bit of time, please!

Whereas try some _preliminary_ results for Gecko (without MAthML usage)

[http://www.geocities.com/chavchan/exp/gecko/stress.xml]

[http://www.geocities.com/chavchan/exp/gecko/torture.xml]

>> However, i do not see you actively participating on the experiment ;-)
>
> I've been busy fixing bug 18333, which was one of the issues you held
> against MathML. :-)

Then, please, try also with bugs #9458, #18217, and #238072 in Mozilla and
other Gecko based browsers destroying CSS rendering of math since i
remember you claiming how "ugly" the rendering of math via CSS was ;-).

> --
> Henri Sivonen
> hsivonen@iki.fi
> http://hsivonen.iki.fi/