   Re: [xml-dev] RE: Why is there little usage of XML on the "visibleWeb"?

Michael Kay wrote:
> I would argue the opposite to #7. Everyone knows that Paris is the
> capital of France, so how can this information be valuable? Not many
> people know Bill Gates' credit card number: this information therefore
> has much higher value.

Doesn't this depend on whose shoes you're standing in?

From the point of view of any individual reader other than Bill Gates
and his nominated card holders, knowledge of his credit card number is
either valueless or of enough value to buy a jail sentence. So that's no
more valuable (and potentially of more negative value) to the individual
than the knowledge about Paris. From the point of view of Bill Gates and
his nominated card holders, yes, the card number has high value.

From the point of view of any individual reader, the Paris information
may not have high value, but from the point of view of Paris, it does:
it's part of a set of information which makes Paris the world's most
popular tourist destination and France one of the world's top foreign
investment attractors. I'd be very surprised if this does not bring in
more Euros per annum than Bill Gates can spend on his card.

Colin