   Re: [xml-dev] Patents on XML software, file formats, schemas,vocabularie

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 13:41 -0700, Ken North wrote:
> "Patenting file formats allows companies to actually sue competitors when file
> interchange is possible. The US is now in the situation where future word
> processors may not be able to read each others files, regardless of user desire,
> because patents are taken out on algorithms to read the file. This is not to the
> benefit of society."

I just have so many strong doubts that the future will end up like that.

First we had Word 1.0, then 2.0, then 3.0. Then it Jumped to Windows and
they resequenced. Then to 95, 98, 2000, 2003 blah blah. A whole running
list of forgotten versions and file formats.

The reality is that big companies want to lose old versions and sell new
versions. In User land the opposite reality exists where there is an
opposing force of people that don't want to spend (waste) the money to
upgrade.

The upgrade force always outweighs the not-upgrade force, only because
there is a need to purchase a new car for the family. Not doing any
upgrading jeopardises the right to a new car because without it the wife
gets stroppy.

Only exception to this is the xml process. Who fight upgrading tooth and
nail. Once they have their version 1, they want to hold on to it for
centuries. But they are my friends... so I will let them off the hook
just this one time. Maybe they all just like vintage cars... I just
don't know.. :-)

Regards

David