Re: [xml-dev] Re: Patents on XML software, file formats, schemas, vocabularies

The ditch digger works hard to create a ditch that meets the engineering
specifications.  The job is superb, but no patent issues.  He gets paid
for the hours of his labor and that is all.  In other words, he gets paid
once.

One the other hand a person who is highly trained in a state university
on a free scholarship is hired and ordered to create a particular piece of
software, the employer claims he or she owns th work for hire, and files a
patent and gets paid thousands of time for the work they did not even do.

Patents are monopolies.  They monopolize all of the knowledge, informaton
and technology in the same way that the feudal estates monopolized all of
the factors of production.   Patents recreate the feudal system.