   RE: [xml-dev] RE: Why is there little usage of XML on the 'visibleWeb'?

I would agree, that knowing that "Knowledge, Information or technology
[KIT}" exits has little to do with the value of the KIT. Value is
determine by the alternatives which provide a benefit.

A user of a particular "Kit" must have access to the benefit from "at
least soneone knowing that it exists and knowing how to apply it".  To
benefit from knowledge one does not need to know that it exist, only
that he or she can gain access to it or benefit from it.

Many technologies use many different bits of knowledge to make a
particular technology work ( like a refrigerator or an airplane), but few
users know the knowledge it took to create the opportunity to benefit
from it.  A seller of knowledge products is offering opportunity to
benefit.

Kit enables goal directed activity [software development] or
provides a benefit to an array of people (like the use of soap and
water to wash hands after bathroom use, a knowledge which has added many
years to life expectancy)?  In the first instance access to (and
knowledge of the existence of) the knowledge might be essential, but in
the second neither access to the knowledge {that bacteria cause disease}
nor actual knowledge of the technology involved in soap even exist is
necessary for its benefit to be bestowed and its value to be realized.
Creating the habit achieves the benefit.

Value is found in a realization of the benefit not in the knowledge,
information or technology that might have been used to achieve the goal.

  The benefits of achieving the goal represents the value. The KIT is
  just a contributor to that benefit and its value is based on its
  contribution to that benefit.

   Same with oil and gas, they are valueless unless they are used to
   achieve the goal of providing power or serving as chemical
   intermediates.  Its the goal that kit plays a part in achieving that
   provides the value to the kit.

sterling