   Re: [xml-dev] [SUMMARY #1] Why is there little usage of XML on the'visib

Sorry to insist again from my previous post, but if I take the following practical example (not currently used as far as I know on the visible web - but works fine in Firefox browser):
<HTML xmlns:ia="http://someindustrystandard.org">
        <ul>
            <ia:grocerylist>
            <li><ia:fruit>Orange</ia:fruit></li>
            <li><ia:meat>Chicken</ia:meat></li>
            <li><ia:vegetable>Corn</ia:vegetable></li>
            <ia:grocerylist>
        </ul>
</HTML>
To me, it contains XML, not just (X)HTML.

To me, this XML is not just "plumbing".

To me, this representation is much more beneficial than the pure HTML form below - assuming an appropriate application/smart browser can process the http://someindustrystandard.org namespace.
<HTML>
        <ul>
            <li>Orange</li>
            <li>Chicken</li>
            <li>Corn</li>
        </ul>
</HTML>
In addition, to me, it's evolutionary from the HTML that all web developers know, not revolutionary.

So, do you see any reason why this approach couldn't be a non-detrimental, practical way to put information on the visible web that is also understandable by machines. If not, what are the other options? how do they compare?

Guillaume

Costello, Roger L. wrote:
Hi Folks,

Once again, many thanks for your outstanding comments.  Below I have tried to recap the core assertions.  I am sure that many of the assertions could be worded better or more precisely.  Please let me know.  And as always, I welcome your critique of the assertions.  /Roger

ASSERTION #1

There is little usage of XML on the visible Web That is, the information available to the end user (or his/her browser) is primarily in the form of (X)HTML, not XML.

ASSERTION #2

XML is not appropriate for the visible Web.  XML will continue to have limited usage on the visible Web.  As Len Bullard says, “XML is plumbing”.

ASSERTION #3

On the visible Web(X)HTML will continue to be the primary markup language for the foreseeable future.

ASSERTION #4

The more a resource makes available its information (in an appropriate way) on the visible Web, the more useful and beneficial it becomes to the Web community.

ASSERTION #5

Web services are part of the hidden Web, and are useful and beneficial to the Web community only to the extent they are able to contribute or facilitate the availability of information in an appropriate fashion to the visible Web.

ASSERTION #6

Focus your main efforts on making information available on the visible Web in an appropriate fashion such that the benefits of doing so are maximized, and without introducing a detrimental impact.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

I gratefully acknowledge the outstanding comments from the following people:

Bryan Rasmussen
Chris Gray
Colin Muller
Dave Pawson
David Lyon
Derek Denny-Brown
Didier PH Martin
Doug Rudder
Elliotte Rusty Harold
Greg Alvord
Jim Fuller
Juan Gonzalez
Len Bullard
Michael Kay
Mukul Gandhi
Richard Salz
Sterling Stouden
Tei Oscar Vives

DEFINITION - VISIBLE WEB

The visible Web is the portion of the Web that produces information intended for human consumption.  In particular, this document focuses on the portion of the Web that produces information to be consumed by humans via a browser.  The visible Web is the portion of the Web that produces information that is available to search engines.

DEFINITION – HIDDEN (INVISIBLE) WEB

The hidden Web, on the other hand, is the portion of the Web that produces the information intended to be consumed by machines (i.e., machine-to-machine interaction).

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.10.2/393 - Release Date: 7/19/2006