   Re: [xml-dev] [SUMMARY #1] Why is there little usage of XML on the'visib

  • To: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] [SUMMARY #1] Why is there little usage of XML on the'visible Web'?
  • From: Mitch Amiano <mitch.amiano@agilemarkup.com>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 10:56:46 -0400
  • Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

My bad for forgetting your post.
The example you gave was my first case - delivering my own bespoke
markup to a browser, but excluding XHTML.
So I'd conclude with others that the assertion (1)

> There is little usage of XML on the visible Web.  That is, the
> information available to the end user (or his/her browser) is primarily
> in the form of (X)HTML, not XML.

is true in that case.

First, because the trouble of dealing with non-existent or defective browser implementations means delivering XML + XSLT to the client is not worth the effort.
Second, because the client-side experience isn't sufficiently enhanced to warrant the transform on the client side.
Third, because it isn't worth it to me to share my grocery list.