   Re: [xml-dev] [SUMMARY #1] Why is there little usage of XML on the'visib

juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com wrote:

> GIF, JPEG... is prefered over XMLs as SVG.

LOL, do you think that it is failure of SVG that it can't capture adult
content? To be correct, you should compare SVG with vector formats (not
raster ones) like EPS, CGM, Flash.

> CSS is prefered over XSLT.

For what? It doesn't much sense to process HTML by XSLT for styling
purposes. So of course there are more CSS files on web then XSLT files,
because there is more content in HTML then in raw XML.

> Specific formats for other usages are also prefered. FOr example, MP3 over
> some XML language for music: e.g. MusicXML.

Are you kidding? Comparing MP3 to MusicXML is like comparing a great
dinner with man/woman of your dreams with cookbook and guide to dating.

> PDF is prefered over XML formats like XSL-FO and similar.

Hmm, comparing PDF to XSL-FO seems also quite strange. Do you think that
I prefer PDF over XSL-FO if I create all my PDF files from XSL-FO files?
I can imagine comparing XSL-FO and its implementations to TeX, troff or
to some proprietary formatting engines. I can imagine comparing PDF to
PS, XPS or PCL. But PDF and XSL-FO are not comparable technologies.

Probably you should use more serious reasoning if you want other people
to take your attempts to define your "own and better non-XML publishing
toolchain" more seriously.

				Jirka

                    Nejbližší termíny školení:
     ** XSLT 23.-26.10.2006 ** XML schémata 13.-15.11.2006 **
      ** DocBook 11.-13.12.2006 ** XSL-FO 11.-12.12.2006 **
   http://xmlguru.cz    Blog mostly about XML for English readers

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature