   Re: [xml-dev] CLAX - Client-side functionality

At 22:39 23/07/2006, Elliotte Harold wrote:
Many thanks,
Firstly - I may be out of date on some points and genuinely ignorant,
so please be gentle.

>peter murray-rust wrote:
>
>>- I cannot send a client an XML document and an XSLT stylesheet and
>>expect them to process it without further instructions dependent on
>>their environment.
>
>I don't think this is true any more. The only current browser I know
>of that doesn't support XSLT is lynx. Perhaps an important one, so
>two questions:

This may be true if I want them to process a document and have it
rendered as HTML in the browser's display for sighted humans. But
suppose I want to send them a.xml and b.xsl and expect them to create
a result document c.xml automatically (i.e. without human cutting and
pasting or pressing a "save" button). Can all browsers supply that
functionality?

An example might be:
- read genome.xml from site A
- read genome2protein.xsl from site B
- create result as protein.xml
and assume I am a machine.

(Note also that I might wish this to be done for 1000 examples of genome.xml).

None of these are XHTML files and I would not wish to use a browser
by default. I simply wish the client to carry out the transformation
- which is a completely standard XML/XSLT operation.

>1. Besides lynx, which other browsers do not support XSLT?
>2. Is lynx stopping you from sending XML+XSLT to browsers?

No.

>If the answer to 1 is "none" and the answer to 2 is "Yes", then
>what's really needed is an effort to add XSLT to lynx. Shouldn't
>actually be that hard. We just need to transform the document and
>then pass it into lynx's regular HTML renderer.

This sounds like a good idea.

P.

Peter Murray-Rust
Unilever Centre for Molecular Sciences Informatics
University of Cambridge,
Lensfield Road,  Cambridge CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069