   Re: [xml-dev] CLAX - Client-side functionality

Michael Kay wrote:
> Whether a binary image is inline or referenced indirectly is pretty
> immaterial: either way, you are proposing to do the image rendering work on
> the server instead of on the client. That's exactly what many people are
> doing today, and this thread is trying to change that. If you think it's not
> a desirable goal to move more of the presentation logic to the client, then
> please explain why you think so.
>
> Michael Kay
> http://www.saxonica.com/

I visited the Google Maps people here in Sydney a few months ago. They
told me they browser sniffed, and used VML client-side if IE was being
used and rendered to JPEG server-side otherwise. (Something like that.)
The ability/decision to optimise delivery based on the capabilities is
very pragmatic.

Funny if Google was the main user of MS' VML :-)

Cheers
Rick