   Re: [xml-dev] XML Versioning

Hi there. Have you seen this? One thing I like about this design is that
the versioning is kept outside of the schema and hence keeps all schemas
  clear and concise.

=================================
Open XML Markup Compatibility

The Open XML Markup Compatibility specification describes the mechanisms
that support versioning and extensibility of XML markup. These
mechanisms are used by the Open Packaging Conventions, the XML Paper
Specification, and the Windows Presentation Foundation. The XPS Document
format and the Microsoft Office Open XML Formats also use this
specification.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/downloads.mspx#EHB

John Kamp