-----Original Message-----
From: peter murray-rust [mailto:pm286@cam.ac.uk]

I want to explore whether we can create a specification of a client-side
environment which would support a reasonably wide range of XML
applications by default and which could be customised further by
communities.
I shall use the term "CLAX" for "client and XML". Please feel free to
mutilate everything suggested here.

The goal of CLAX would be to provide a specification for
*lightweight* services that would be available to a client for
processing XML. They should be stated in machine- and OS-independent
terms (although there will may be some messy implementation details).
It would be aimed at a community not frightened by installing software
and possibly editing configuration, catalog and other files.