   RE: [xml-dev] [SUMMARY #1] Why is there little usage of XML on the 'vis

At 15:30 24/07/2006, Bullard, Claude L \(Len\) wrote:
Thanks Len,

>It is work that is already in progress.
>
>I may be missing the point here, but reading the
>CLAX thread is déjà vu all over again.

Of course it is! We covered much of this in
1998.  The new things are increased frustration
and possibility that with current technology and
mindset we might actually put it to rest

>  I generally agree that XML plumbing needs to
> be outside of the browser as services,

Yes, so do I.

>but domain-specific clients are needed only if
>one can't create semantics inside the rendering
>language or as server-side class libraries.

The vision is of a generic client onto which
domain specific facilities can be installed.

>   I'll relax and watch, but I suspect this will
> eventually evolve into the "why isn't XML an
> object-oriented language"?" topic.   That
> thread goes nowhere we haven't been before.  It
> becomes yet-another-high-level-script for object services.
>
>What one wants is an XML application that is
>object-oriented.  X3D is for the most
>part.  Protos aren't a great way to do classes
>but combined with Java, it all works until the
>'Java not enabled' warning appears.  Then it is
>back to the same old never goes away problem of bindings.

Yes.

>A C# binding for X3D is a nice-to-get but that
>is a topic for a different list.
>
>len
>

>From: Didier PH Martin [mailto:martind@netfolder.com]
>
>Hi Len,
>
>Len mentioned:
>http://hcilab.uniud.it/let-web3d/x3d-intro.pdf
>
>See slide 12.  I realize you mean a "CML client" but this is a good idea too.
>
>Didier replies:
>Jee Len, you're right, a CML interpreter would
>be better to use web3d because most chemical
>compounds are definitively better viewed in 3D.
>So Peter a missing part for your tool is a 3D
>viewer. Sounds like web3d is a better candidate than SVG.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am sure that web3d
will have use here. But the viewer needs to have
a lot of chemical semantics. We already have that
in Jmol which performs as well as many
hardware-accelerated alternatives. Note that 2D
is complementary to 3D in chemistry - both are essential.

Peter Murray-Rust
Unilever Centre for Molecular Sciences Informatics
University of Cambridge,
Lensfield Road,  Cambridge CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069