   RE: [xml-dev] client side XML functionalities

Quoting Didier PH Martin <martind@netfolder.com>:

> a) Sarissa is copying every element into javascript objects.

That is a bit missleading. Sarissa is used to
 - parse XML to create DOM objects using the browser's DOM implementation
 - work with elements being browser DOM objects already

> New
> functions
> like "selectSingleNode" can then be added to the newly created
> object. This
> may be or not a problem dependent on the DOM size

A method like selectSingleNode is added to the prototype and not the
instances of the target class (well, unless there is no such prototype
like XMLDocument in Opera).

> b) if you use Sarissa to transform the document, this last thing is
> not
> included in Sarissa, you'll have to develop your own rendering of
> the
> result.

What is not included? I would be very interested in adding it.

You can load, optionally transform and finally append (and thus render)
a new DOM structure in the current web page with a single line, see
"updateContentFromURI" [1].

>  if you use the
> window.document.write function to write the result of the transform

Then you would be using your hands to eat a steak, after cutting it to
pieces with a knife and fork.

[1] http://sarissa.sourceforge.net/doc/Sarissa.html#!s!updateContentFromURI