   Towards s-expression based XPath/XSLT implementation

  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Towards s-expression based XPath/XSLT implementation
  • From: "Oleg A. Paraschenko" <olpa@xmlhack.ru>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:35:51 +0400

Hello,

those who are still interested in "lisp vs xml" and "xml is a poor copy of
s-expressions" issues, might find my recent writings interesting:

Towards s-expression based XPath/XSLT implementation
http://xmlhack.ru/protva/xquery/index.php/TowardsXslt

Abstract:

It's supposed that Lisp languages are ideal for implementing XML
standards. Then why we don't have an XSLT processor written in Common Lisp
or Scheme? I'm ignoring business issues and want to expose a technical
problem.

The popular representations of XML become showstoppers in implementing
hidden XML/XPath/XSLT features. In this paper, I try to list the issues,
both generic and specific to the representations:

* object oriented,
* DSSSL,
* SXML.

Also I record some low-level issues related to implementing XPath and
XSLT.

Finally, I introduce GSXML, a dialect of SXML.

--
Oleg Parashchenko  olpa@ http://xmlhack.ru/  XML news in Russian
http://uucode.com/blog/  Generative Programming, XML, TeX, Scheme