Re: [xml-dev] XML aggregation question?

At 14:23 27/08/2006, Robert Koberg wrote:
>peter murray-rust wrote:
>>At 12:26 27/08/2006, Robert Koberg wrote:
>>>Hi,
>>This is very useful and it's good that there are members of XML-DEV
>>who have had experience.
>
>Cool. I would hope any others would speak up. I claim no final
>experience on the matter :)

XML-DEV has a long history of careful, thoughtful and innovations
contributions to XML including reviewing the state of the art of
implementations.

>I believe this is the product we are talking about, correct?
>
>http://www.sleepycat.com/products/bdbxml.html

Yes.

>(for some reason I remember the name differently...)
>
>>This is very closely linked to SleepyCat so I begin to understand.
>>It seems there may be an unmaintained, potentially out-of-date,
>>engine on SF which just about meets the letter of the Open Source
>>license, but is of little use and which encourages people to buy a
>>commercial product.
>
>No. Sleepycat's offering is Open Source and free (as in price) for
>people who produce open source products.
>
>Here is their license page:
>
>http://www.sleepycat.com/company/licensing.html
>
>You can always call them to verify, which is what I did. To me, they
>said just open up your app and you don't have to pay, otherwise it
>will cost you -- even though I wasn't distributing anything (in my
>understanding of the word).
>
>Again, you should be fine -- IANAL :)

Thanks. This is clearer. I am uneasy about this sort of OS as it is
not compatible with the normal OS licenses. Certainly GPL rigorously
excludes conditions of use. But I suggest we don't get sidetracked
from XML databases.

Peter Murray-Rust
Unilever Centre for Molecular Sciences Informatics
University of Cambridge,
Lensfield Road,  Cambridge CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069