Re: [xml-dev] TP Agreements

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 09:42 +0100, Fraser Goffin wrote:
> Sometimes (actually quite often) we have to deal with *mid term
> changes* to policies (e.g. a change of address). When this occurs the
> business rule is that message for the change MUST be the *same*
> version as the original 'request for quotation' perhaps received some
> months earlier (this is so premium calculations for the change are
> based on the original rules whilst that policy is in force - dont ask
> me why !). The problem this gives us is knowing what that original
> version was once the message has been consumed and the data transfered
> onto back-end databases.

Yup. So if you use a document registry based approach then it overcomes
this issue.

> I guess we will need to keep the version
> meta-data from the original message somewhere right ?

Yep.

> Versioning is a real big issue in my world right now :-(, so any tips
> on keeping it simple, greatly appreciated :-)

We address the issue in our open-source project by using a document-log
and storing "diffed" revisions there. So that you can backtrack. In
theory anyway.

To control it, we insist that only the sender/originator to make changes
to the document.

Fascinating topic. Not something that can be programmed in one sitting
either.

What is that system you are using anyway?

Regards

David