len

From: Tatu Saloranta [mailto:cowtowncoder@yahoo.com]

--- Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net> wrote:

> On the other hand, the source for SGMLS was out
> there.  Would you write a

Sure, and that is certainly better than starting from
scratch. But at the same time, unless SGMLS does
everything one needs from a parser (and works on all
platforms etc), someone needs to maintain the code.
And maintaining/developing a system that solves a
difficult problem is in itself a difficult problem.
That is: it's not much easier to work on such a system
than writing the system. How many people really know
how, say, gcc++ works, and how to work on it?

So I think that the challenge of working with
something that has expressive power of SGML will
always be there, independent of number of existing
tools and open code base. And given that, using such
systems will be expensive, one way or the other.

-+ Tatu +-