RE: [xml-dev] Generic XML Tag Closer </> (GXTC)

This was permitted in an early draft of the XML spec, and (IIRC) in the
first Microsoft XML parsers. I remember a client threatening to sue
Microsoft when the spec changed and Microsoft withdrew the capability.

There were of course legitimate arguments on both sides at that stage - the
facility is good or bad depending on your requirements.

At this stage of the game, forget it. The costs of tinkering at the edges of
XML far exceed the benefits, as the XML 1.1 fiasco demonstrates all too
clearly.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/