Re: [xml-dev] Generic XML Tag Closer </> (GXTC)

Melvin Chin said:
> May I seek some opinions on this topic/proposal?

> extend XML spec just a little to permit use of "</>" (GXTC)
> to be placed wherever it is permitted in the current XML spec
> to place a closing tag.  The semantics will be to effect a
> closing of the nearest open tag before the position of GXTC.
>
> Any opinion is fine, useful, crazy, nonsense, should be done,
> must not coz it's going to break many things ...
>
> I could see some good use of it, but do note the deep potential
> impact it may bring.  Would like to hear from you.
>
> Thanks.
>
> cheers,
> mc

I agree with Michael Kay about the fiasco of XML 1.1.

If you need that kind of extensions then look to alternative approaches.
E.g. ConciseXML [http://www.concisexml.org/] permits the use of generic
end tag.

XML 1.0: <textarea>hi</textarea>

ConciseXML: <textarea>hi</>