Re: [xml-dev] Generic XML Tag Closer </> (GXTC)

my 2 cents

With the availability of relatively low cost or free XML editors having
good content completion, I see no advantage even from the standpoint of
data entry. Just for instance, with oXygen's content completion will
close tags with about three ( < /  {ENTER} ) keystrokes.

</> makes the closure of an element anonymous. To the human reader, a
long span of content in which the start tag is no longer near the
anonymous end tag makes a visual scan useless.

When a (start|end) tag is missing the anonymous end tag makes it harder
to distinguish which element is incorrect. This might not mean as much
when using a tree editor, but when using a source mode editor or
text-based script (print/puts/echo) to generate content, or plain old
damaged files, you're likely to loose more time trying to debug.  For
that matter, if I textually cut-and-paste a fragment with an XML end tag
so that its position is swapped outside of an ancestor element
structure's end tag, the validation process is likely to give errors; if
I textually cut-and-paste the same as an anonymous end tag, the
validation process may not know anything is wrong at all if the end tags
still match in number. This can happen for instance when you select a
line of content but you don't notice that the end tag got selected too,
and you drag and drop.