Re: [xml-dev] Generic XML Tag Closer </> (GXTC)

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 16:02 +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> Any idiot can make up a better markup language than XML, and many idiots
> in fact do so.

I think this is a very condescending statement about the people like
David Megginson who put XML together. Saying that it only takes an idiot
to do better. You obviously have no understanding of the skills,
hardships, determination and sacrifices of any person who tries to
advance the common knowledge.

To illustrate, recently I visited Turkey and was shown a place and told
a story. Apparently many hundreds of years ago a fellow made a flying
device (similar to Icarus) and jumped off a building and flew down the
hill.

At the bottom, he was seen by a crowd of people who though he was a
flying devil and proceeded to quickly kill him.

Who were the idiots? the ones believing in flying-devils who wouldn't
hesitate to murder or the one working to find a better way of travel?

> But its value comes from its being a standard.

Walking was once a standard before cars, trains and aeroplanes. Times
change Rick. Live and let live.

Regards

David