Re: [xml-dev] SGML complexity

Frans Englich wrote:

> However, I do wonder if XSL-T's complexity really has knee capped the open
> source market. What would be the reason? That it requires too much work?
> Linux and Apache are in that case good examples to why it won't hold.

It's a combination of too much work without a commensurate amount of
funding or interest. There are certainly numerous people who could do
it, if someone stepped forward and hired them to do so. Michael Kay's an
existence proof that it's a one-person job. However, I suspect he's also
an existence proof that it's not a one-person part time job. :-( I'm
also not sure if it's a truly parallelizable task. Certainly some pieces
like many functions could be written by many different developers, but
the core might well need a single person, or a small cohesive team
working together.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!