Re: [xml-dev] SGML complexity (was: RE: [xml-dev] Re: Recognizing...)

--- Frans Englich <frans.englich@telia.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 31 August 2006 11:27, Michael Kay wrote:
> > Unfortunately, I think it also kneecapped the free
> software market to some extent.
>
> That is also my impression. For example, on the
> mailing list for libxslt,
> there's almost daily requests to implement '2.0, but
> it always receives as
> answer that there's no work-force available at those
> However, I do wonder if XSL-T's complexity really
> has knee capped the open
> source market. What would be the reason? That it
> requires too much work?
> Linux and Apache are in that case good examples to
> why it won't hold.

I don't think this is a fair comparison however. One
difference is the size of communities involved, but
I think more important is that whereas development
for new features for httpd, or linux kernel generally
can happen in much more granular fashion (smaller
features to add), "implement xsl 2.0" is quite a big
task, and while not absolutely monolithic, may be hard
or impractical to handle in piecemeal fashion. Chances
are, it needs to be implement almost in its entirety
to be useful.

-+ Tatu +-