RE: [xml-dev] SGML complexity

Yes, the short term test is "community" but in the end, the technology has
to be irreversibly satisfying to some market need and adopted by all of
the user members of that market.  The products that support and enable
must satisfy the essence of that need.

As I see the market need, it is universal, not niche. The real market is
for a universal solution capable of solving any demand for ordered data
presentations.  Few want to learn some of the 20000000000000000000
different --ml languages for each segment of it.

Most want a language like English, that can be used to present and
express anything that comes up.  SGML does that.   It takes about 15 years
for  members of the general population to learn the English language, how
long  would it  take for the general population to learn SGML?  English is
one of the most hated sujects in grammar and high school and I think SGML
would be too, but it is the only language that could be truly universal.

I think the targeted community approach will work for a while, but in
fewer than six or seven years you might run out of targeted
niche communities.  There are still a few commodore computer fans!

sterling