Re: [xml-dev] XML schema Management

Yes and No. I am really talking about how the design of schemata (and
as Michael mentioned other artefacts like XSLT) on an enterprise
scale, can/should be based on a common core (and versioned) data model
rather than each project building service definitions which may/may
not mainatin consistency in the semantics and syntax.

When there are only a few services and associated schema you can just
about get away without tooling, common standards, an indexed
repository of core artefacts, and so on ... but as these increase
(which is I guess where the efforts in my organisation are about now)
it becomes clearer that this small scale effort will soon (and
quickly) be overwhelmed.

Aside from the technical benefits, a key challenge is convicing our
business sponsors of the need for such efforts since, as always,
infrastructure is a tough sell. Short-termism and the attraction of
JFDI are still powerful advocates that often cause standards efforts
to fail, not perhaps because sponsors don't 'get it' but possibly more
because each sponsor is hoping that someone else will pick up the tab.

Fraser.