Re: [xml-dev] XML schema Management

Fraser,

I am a member of a standardization forum that has been designing an open data model in the retail/commercial banking domain for close to 7 years now (ifxforum.org). This organization has started a similar effort of building a database for querying, viewing, editing its data model and generating XSDs. It is still in its infancy, but the results shown so far are very promising.

Other than cost, the reasons for building a bespoke system instead of buying were that:
  • it's a good learning experience to discover and formalize the underlying implicit governing rules, practices, conventions or metamodel of your schemas.
  • it opens the possibility of strong governance, by implementing directly these governing rules, practices, conventions or metamodel in the edition tool. For instance, in the IFX context, making sure that if you create a new "object", it comes also with an Id and a Status. This fixes a certain class of "bugs" before they appear. With a generic XML schema management system, I believe governance would have to be done manually.
  • it does not tie the system to the particular technology du jour (XML/XSD):  you could imagine one day generating Relax schemas, or code directly.
Guillaume

Fraser Goffin wrote:
The problem : managing the production, versioning, consistency, .... of a large number of XML schema (typically for message based service interfaces) spawned from a core business domain data model.

Scope: Large enterprise integration, internal and external (B2B)

Any one uses products such as igniteXML, corteXML, or the like ...

We are starting to look into this area 9we are swiftly out-growing the ability of a small number of talented individuals) and would welcome tooling and methodology that other have found to be most useful ?

Regards

Fraser.