Re: [xml-dev] Open XML Markup Compatibility

Quoting Fraser Goffin <goffinf@googlemail.com>:

> a little more detail on my environment is clearly needed (sorry the
> original post was already quite long so I left it out).
>
> Our service consumers (typically high street brokers) bind to and call
> web services on an industry portal......
> ..
> One of the issues I have with this is that a receiver who wants to
> ignore the additional content still needs to know whether that content
> MUST be retained (for [say] legal non repudiation) or can actually be
> discarded altogether, perhaps by applying a transformation before
> processing (as per the current UBL 2 proposal). I was thinking that
> maybe the annotations might help to make this clearer in the absence
> of something like an ebXML Collabortion Protocol Agreement (CPA) ?

Oh ok.

> Absolutely. I'm quite certain that most of us who implement services
> do not necessarily process every piece of data that is sent.

That's right. At the moment, in my customer environments, data is just
thrown away in the hundreds of megabytes weekly. Most of it falls
outside of the ability of the businesses to be able to process it.

As businesses have become more efficient at generating the data, the
reverse is not always true for receiving it and loading it into some
managable form.

> The assertion from the caller is that you MAY ignore some content IF
> you don't understand it WITHOUT this being considered as an error (ie.
> that content in effect represents relationships between SOME of the
> parties that receive it but not necessarily all). Its a way of having
> a more generic message as opposed to lots of individual point-2-point
> tightly coupled services. Not saying that approach is wrong, both have
> merit IMO.

Ok. Fortunately I work in less tightly coupled systems with smaller
companies who are less involved in the message elements down at that
level.

Regards

David