RE: [xml-dev] Xlink Isn't Dead

At 12:59 PM 9/22/2006, Len Bullard wrote:
>And if the purpose of a given link is NOT to send a resource to a rendering
>application, what then?

         Then it's irrelevant to the process of what to do with it
after its modelled. I don't believe you can reasonably standardize
the behavior of generic applications that operate below user
visibility, at least in terms of how they deal with modelled
relationships. Each specific user domain will develop their own
standards and tools based on what they need the unseen links to do.

         The primary purpose of XLink was to display links in a
rendering context. That's my point of interest in this discussion.
I'm sure other people have thoughts on links that operate like
plumbing, behind the curtains. I really don't, by and large. To me,
trying to get the concepts behind XLink working at that level is wrong-headed.

         What are your thoughts on the topic?

--->Ben