Re: [xml-dev] Xlink Isn't Dead

Sorry; it wasn't meant as a paraphrase at all, just a contextual joke. :)

> >that uses linking as _part_ of it. Linking by itself means very
> >little, in HTML, XML or otherwise. I suspect this debate is once again
>
>          Are you using "means" in the ontological sense? As in, the
> presence of link doesn't define what that link means?
>          Then we're in agreement.

Indeed.

> >It sounds like
> >you want there to be more generic application specific things in XML,
> >not less. I'm of the "less" opinion, but only because, well, I'm in
> >the ontologies camp. :)
>
>          I actually don't see how you're finding a conflict between
> getting the styling languages to do something smart with links and
> the  modelling of more generic ontologies.

The word "style" and its "meaning", I suppose. :) To me, style is
presentation and as such only a part of an application of something.
Links is more than presentation, they speak of things "larger" than
that. That's all.

At 07:23 PM 9/22/2006, Alexander Johannesen wrote:
> >My biggest problem with Xlink were the reclarifications of something
> >we all knew from HTML. Why impose a whole standard for linking when
> >most people would be happy as larry with xml:href or instead just used
> >xhtml:href? 80/20 :)

>         That's the common misconception. How many webpages do you go
> to where basic link functionality has been extended via scripting
> tricks? I'm willing to bet it's quite a few. An example: the Flickr
> sidebar at http://www.shelter.nu/.

Not sure I follow you here. What scripting tricks? What is the *trick*?

>        xhtml:href does -not- win us the 80/20. That's part of my
> point. A lot of people are doing a lot of work, having to wrestle
> with making it cross-platform, and it could be solved with XLinks in
> a standardized and relatively simple way.

<confused> Which part of "80/20 of linking" doesn't xhtml:href cover?
</confused>

regards,

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert