RE: [xml-dev] Xlink Isn't Dead

At 07:02 23/09/2006, Ben Trafford wrote:

>At 01:51 AM 9/23/2006, peter murray-rust wrote:
>>I need XLink for semantic relationships. I assumed that these were
>>implied in it as well as "rendering". From the recent discussion it
>>seems semantics is in a minority. When everyone talks about the
>>S/semantic W/web
>>we are still obsessed with sighted humans.
>
>         Well, humans. Not necessarily sighted ones. I tend to be a
> pretty big supporter of accessibility -- and that's yet another
> reason to pull smart linking into CSS, as CSS integrates with
> accessibility tools rather nicely, all told.

I agree - and I try to make my pages accessible. But it only really
relates to text and images - there is no metaphor for chemistry

>         In terms of semantics, what do you think XLink is lacking
> from your experience with CML?

I haven't looked for 2-3 years - but basically there was no added
value from the community - such as toolboxes,  validity checkers,
tools to check whether the hyperdocument was bounded, etc. So the
implication is the implementers has to do all the work themselves.

Similarly if I am in a company of one - or two ( I don't know XBRL) -
I don't get any synergy. If I write XSLT there are zillions of
tutorials, examples, tools, etc. Everyone knows what I am taking
about.  If I write XLink I point to a spec whose vitality is being
questioned here. Not all XML specs are good things to point
non-experts to. I'm also not even sure that XLink actually does what I want.

So if I were still moderating this list maybe I'd try to ginger us up
to revisit XLink. But...

P.