len

From: Michael Kay [mailto:mike@saxonica.com]

An ISBN is clearly an identifier, not a pointer. An HTML @href attribute is
clearly a pointer, not an identifier. We need to use identifiers in
conjuction with a mechanism than can enable us to locate the things they
identify, but without "hard coding" the pointers in places where we should
use identifiers. The attempt to make URIs serve as both identifiers and as
pointers seems to be an unmitigated disaster.