Re: [xml-dev] Xlink Isn't Dead

Peter Hunsberger wrote:

> Although Microsoft may have got these two aspects more-or-less correct
> they unfortunately did so with an implementation that gives you poor
> reusability.  It's been a while since I attempted to use their
> implementation but as I recall event mapping is cumbersome and there
> is very little capability to exploit any kind of polymorphism.  In
> particular, one should be able to define parameters (dynamic and
> static) that are passed with the event notification to the handler, a
> feature that is completely missing in the MS implementation.

FWIW, the dojo toolkit (ajax/javascript) has made a way to publish and
subscribe to an object's events. For example you have some link/button
object/widget where you define an onClick method:
onClick: function() {
   dojo.event.topic.publish(this.widgetId+"/onBeforeClick", {some:
"set", of: properties});

   //handle onClick

   dojo.event.topic.publish(this.widgetId+"/onAfterClick", this);
}

then in some other code you can subscribe by referencing the identifier
and giving it a handler function, like:

dojo.event.topic.subscribe("metadata_page/onBeforeClick", setupMetadata);