Help with XInclude...

I have 2 (ok there are about 10, but if works for 2 making it work for
N is just a matter of repeating the process) XML files (a.xml and
b.xml) a.xml contains vulnerability findings about a system, while
b.xml contains the definition for these vulnerabilities (see bellow).
I want to just add a link under <DESC> that uses an XPath statement to
select the correct description from b.xml.  I've tried a number of
different ways to get XInclude to work, but nothing  seems to work, I
always get an empty desc (and yes the XPath statement is correct,
oXygen returns the correct value).

=== Begin a.xml ===
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type='text/xsl' href='OpenItems.xslt'?> <IMPORT_FILE
xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";>
<ASSET>
  <NAME>machineName</NAME>
  <VULN>1075</VULN>
  <DESC>
     <xi:include href="b.xml"
xpointer="/VULNERABILITIES/VULNERABILITY[ID_NUMBER=1070]/DESC"/>
  </DESC>
  .
  .
  .
</ASSET>
=== End a.xml ===

=== Begin b.xml ===
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<VULNERABILITIES>
  <VULNERABILITY>
    <ID_NUMBER>1070</ID_NUMBER>
    <DESC>The description of this vulnerability goes here...</DESC>
   .
   .
   .
</VULNERABILITIES>
=== End b.xml ===

I've tried all sorts of things based on the information in the XML 1.1
Bible, but nothing seems to work.  Here are some of the things that
I've tried

* <xi:include href="b.xml"
xi:xpointer="/VULNERABILITIES/VULNERABILITY[ID_NUMBER=1070]/DESC"/>

* <xi:include nmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/Xinclude";>
*	<xi:include href="b.xml"
xpointer="/VULNERABILITIES/VULNERABILITY[ID_NUMBER=1070]/DESC"/>
* </xi:include>

* <xi:include href="b.xml"
xpointer="/VULNERABILITIES/VULNERABILITY[ID_NUMBER=1070]/DESC"
nmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/Xinclude"/>

* <xi:include
href="b.xml#xpointer(//VULNERABILITIES/VULNERABILITY[ID_NUMBER=1070]/DE
SC)"/>

Any ideas/pointer will be appreciated.