Re: [xml-dev] Integrating XHTML modules into a markup language

tom tom writes:

> I wish to utilize some XHTML modules in a schema I am developing. If,
> for example I wish to include the Block structural module - which if I
> understand correctly is called xhtml-blkstruct-1.xsd - where should I
> be referencing this from?
>
> One of the places I have tried it from here:
> http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/SCHEMA/xhtml-blkstruct-1.xsd and I get a
> 'missing Common.attrib attribute group' error. Before I go about
> trying to debug this I feel I am going about this in the wrong way?

The modular schemas are mostly not independently usable.  The module
you're looking at, for <div> and <p>, not surprisingly refers to
element and attribute declarations in many other 'lower level'
modules.  The complete list appears to me to be:

 xhtml-attribs-1.xsd
 xhtml-bdo-1.xsd
 xhtml-csismap-1.xsd
 xhtml-datatypes-1.xsd
 xhtml-edit-1.xsd
 xhtml-form-1.xsd
 xhtml-hypertext-1.xsd
 xhtml-image-1.xsd
 xhtml-inlstyle-1.xsd
 xhtml-link-1.xsd
 xhtml-list-1.xsd
 xhtml-meta-1.xsd
 xhtml-object-1.xsd
 xhtml-pres-1.xsd
 xhtml-ruby-1.xsd
 xhtml-script-1.xsd
 xhtml-style-1.xsd
 xhtml-table-1.xsd
 xhtml-text-1.xsd
 xhtml11-model-1.xsd

However, it is not in general safe to just xs:include all of those --
the xhtml11.xsd top-level driver gets all but xhtml11-model-1.xsd via
xhtml11-modules-1.xsd, which in turn _xs:redefines_ rather than
xs:includes some of the above, namely

 xhtml-csismap-1.xsd
 xhtml-form-1.xsd
 xhtml-hypertext-1.xsd
 xhtml-image-1.xsd
 xhtml-object-1.xsd

So you're really better off just xs:including the top-level driver and
getting everything, i.e. xhtml11.xsd itself.

ht
- --
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk