From: Richard Tobin [mailto:richard@inf.ed.ac.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 11:39 AM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] How to handle "newline" characters in an XML
parser.

In article <e24752a10612051124j501ffe3i7469c64a94ea4959@mail.gmail.com>
you write:

>I'm having some trouble figuring out how to handle "newline"
>characters in XML text files on different platforms. I typically
>ignore all whitespace in the parser,

To conform to the standard, an XML parser must return all whitespace
in content to the application, except that line breaks must be
normalized to a linefeed character.  The idea is that XML applications
don't have to worry about the platform's line-end conventions.  Any of
the following count as a line break: LF, CR LF, and CR not followed by
LF.  So if you get two CRs followed by a LF, you should return two
LFs.  The easiest way to do this is to convert them as you input them,
before parsing.  You can count line numbers at the same time.

-- Richard