Re: [xml-dev] Victory has been declared in the schema wars ...

> On Dec 5, 2006, at 19:07, Henry S. Thompson wrote:

>> Seems to me there _must_ be such a grammar,

I think there is an expectation difference between the technologist view
that a schema is "what a grammar can do" and the user view that a schema
should be able to express the most significant constraints and patterns in
the XML document type from their perspective.

Sometimes it is better to adopt separate terms, for example the HTML
people might adopt "constraint specification" rather than "schema" to
avoid talking past each other too much.

The issue it not "can there be a grammar?" in some language X, but "how do
we express all the constraints we consider significant?"

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe