Re: RDDL: new natures

Jonathan Borden wrote:

> When I say that the rddl:nature of http://example.org/foo.xsd is "XML
> Schema", this is intended to assert that it is reasonable to assume that
> http://example.org/foo.xsd ought comply with the "XML Schema"
> specification i.e. validate as an "XML Schema".

I believe this to be sufficiently asserted by
xlink:role="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";

> What I *don't* want to say is that <http://example.org/foo.xsd> is a
> member of the XML Schema namespace.

Good. xlink:role="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"; does not say that.

In fact, I'm not sure anything would. URLs and documents are not
generally considered to be members of a namespace. The document at
http://example.org/foo.xsd could say that the root element is a member
of the namespace with a xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
attribute; but that's a very different thing.

> Using
> <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema> as the URI for the nature of "XML
> Schema" creates this ambiguity for ***software agents***.

In practice XML software agents are indeed smart enough to distinguish
between xlink:role="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"; and
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"; and even
xlink:href="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";. I don't think there's any
ambiguity here we need to worry about.