Re: [xml-dev] Rick Jelliffe quotable quote on the purpose of schemas

Hi

I want to throw my hat in the ring here from my own experience at
constructing these things (yes i know - in the database, not document
world...).

However, the point is that the discussion will continue until we
recognise the fundamental difference between "structure" and "constraint".

For my money I'd be happy if it took 2 documents to provide a valid
description of what an xml document could contain. The first simply and
only outlines structures. In effect it could easily be a prototype xml
document with one of all possible structures, possibly with some sort of
ellipsis to indicate recursive inclusion - or we could stick with dtd's.

The second would be an XPath type document that lists restraints similar
to XSD.

 From my perspective (and the commercial view) this means I could have
eg some sort of generic description of say a purchase order and then a
constraint based instance that was my requirements - what must be
included, optional, values limits, etc.

This was the basic approach in the ANSI EDI standards and worked very
well to build what must remain the most successful B2B system.

This is a long way of saying that I think trying to get one tool to do 2
fundamentally different things is always going to less than optimal.

Regards
Rick